The main objectives of NIAAA are:
1. Development of the long-term network for monitoring of permafrost, active layer and periglacial processes in the Antarctic Peninsula region;
2. Development of activities on remote sensing of snow and permafrost;
3. Map the characteristics and spatial distribution of permafrost in Hurd Peninsula (Livingston Island) and Deception Island and extend the analysis into the Antarctic Peninsula region;
4. Development of research on interactions between volcanoes and permafrost;
5. Development of the research on the interactions between the ocean and periglacial environments.